Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Founding Farmers


Last Thurs I went into DC with a group from work to Founding Farmers. Its an organic, green-centered, all about sustainablity restaurant. I meant to tell you about it earlier, but got all excited about Sound of Music.

Thursday we were still in the week of non-stop rain, and it actually got bad enough that they were announcing evacuations over the radio. As we drove through the mixing bowl, the water was draining off the overpasses looked like waterfalls. It was crazy.

For appetizer, I got the grilled flat bread. It was grilled ciabata with marscapone cream, prosciuotto, and figs. It was amazing. It also came in three slices, and I told myself to only eat one and leave room for the rest of the meal, but after I tried it, it was pretty much gone.

For my main course I got chicken and waffles, which I had heard about and have been wanting to try for ages. I got two pieces of Pan Fried Southern style chicken, with gravy, and two quarters of Belgian waffle with syrup. It came with Mac-n-cheese, and I picked the double whipped red potatoes for my second side.

It was amazing. I tried a bit of everything, and knew I'd have to pick what to eat there and what to take home, cause I was pretty full from the appetizer. I went with the waffles, because I knew they wouldn't keep, and the potatoes, because they were some of the best mashed potatoes I have ever eaten. They were smooth, with pieces of the skin, and you could tell they had been whipped with melted butter. Hmmmmmm.

For dessert I got red velvet cake, which was four layers high and served in a wedge so large, it took me three days to eat through it. I tried some of the cake, and then ate the vanilla ice cream that came with it (made fresh every day)

My friends made fun of me for not being able to eat the cake, but by then I was so full it hurt.

No comments: